Signature events of the March Presidency
During its presidency of the Security Council, the Kingdom of the Netherlands will organize five signature meetings that will be chaired by a member of the Netherlands Government.
8 March: UNAMA / Afghanistan
- Debate on the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan and renewal of its mandate.
- On the occasion of International Women’s Day, focus on Women, Peace and Security.
- Briefing presided over by minister for Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation Sigrid Kaag.
- All Security Council members have been encouraged to send female delegates to the debate.
19 March: Briefing on DRC
- Briefing on Democratic Republic of Congo with humanitarian focus.
- Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Mark Lowcock will brief the Council.
- The week before, Mark Lowcock together with minister Sigrid Kaag will visit the DRC and they will debrief, especially on the humanitarian situation in the DRC.
22 March: briefing on Lake Chad Basin
- It will be one year since the Security Council’s visit to the region and the adoption of UNSC resolution 2349 on the Lake Chad Basin region.
- It’s World Water Day: the nexus water-climate change – security is a key issue in the Lake Chad Basin.
23 March: Briefing on Conflict and Hunger
- The connection between hunger and conflict will be discussed during this briefing.
- This is a follow-up of a discussion series initiated by the Netherlands and Switzerland in 2017.
28 March: Open Debate on UN Peacekeeping Operations
- During this meeting, reforms of Peacekeeping Operations, such as realistic and robust mandates, and well-trained and equipped troops, will be discussed by member states.
Image: ©Jessie Barentsen