The Permanent Representative
Yoka M.G. Brandt is the Permanent Representative of the Netherlands to the United Nations in New York, and presented her credentials to the Chief of Protocol of the United Nations Ms. Beatrix Kania on September 2nd, 2020.
Before her latest appointment, Ms. Brandt was Secretary-General of her country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs beginning in 2016, having previously served as Deputy Executive Director for Partnerships at the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) from 2012 to 2016.
At the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, she was Director-General for International Cooperation from 2008 to 2012, having served as Deputy Director‑General for International Cooperation from 2007 to 2008.
She was Ambassador to Uganda from 2004 to 2007 and Ambassador to Eritrea from 2000 to 2004. She also held various positions with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in The Hague and at missions from 1985 to 2000.
Ms. Brandt earned a master’s degree in geography and development economics at Utrecht University from 1976 to 1983.
Ambassador and Deputy Permanent Representative
Dr. Bahia Tahzib-Lie is Ambassador and Deputy Permanent Representative of the Kingdom of the Netherlands ― comprising the four autonomous countries of the Netherlands, Aruba, Curaçao, and St Maarten ― to the United Nations in New York.
Previous positions include:
- 2019 - 2023 Human Rights Ambassador, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- 2016 - 2019 Ambassador of the Kingdom of the Netherlands to the State of Qatar
- 2014 - 2016 Minister of Foreign Affairs’ Special Envoy for UN Affairs
- 2013 - 2014 Private Secretary to Her Majesty the Queen (UNSG’s Special Advocate for Inclusive Finance for Development)
- 2009 - 2013 Private Secretary to Her Royal Highness Princess Máxima of the Netherlands (UNSG’s Special Advocate for Inclusive Finance for Development)
- 2006 - 2009 Counsellor for North Africa, Middle East & Gulf, Permanent Representation of the Kingdom of the Netherlands to the European Union
- 2004 - 2006 Deputy European Correspondent, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- 2002 - 2003 Personal Adviser to the Chair of the Standing Commission of the Red Cross and Red Crescent, Her Royal Highness Princess Margriet of the Netherlands
- 1996 - 2003 Adviser, Human Rights Division, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
- 1994 - 1996 Policy Officer, International Immigration, Refugee and Criminal Law, Dutch Refugee Council
- 1991 - 1994 Legal Counsel, Legislative Department, Dutch Council of State
- 1990 - 1991 Associate Lecturer in Public International Law and International Organizations, Utrecht University School of Law
Ambassador Tahzib-Lie holds Master’s degrees and a PhD in Law (human rights). She studied Law at Utrecht University School of Law (1984―1988) and the University of Michigan Law School (1988―1989). She is the author and editor of several publications on human rights and co-author of an article on the Kingdom of the Netherlands’ campaign strategy for the UN Security Council elections in 2016.
Bahia is married and has two daughters.